3 Things I liked
- Working with Dr. Hanna’s map class and as a group- Normally I am not the type to enjoy working with other people, but someday I will get a job and need to do this. Since we worked in a group we were able to collectively organize our ideas and appoint tasks to complete a comprehensive site. By including Dr. Hanna’s map making class we were able to see what it is like asking other people to contribute for you.
- The Blogging- I like the blogging because it gave us a chance to talk about the progress that we have made and also let us look at what the other groups have been doing, so we didn’t become a completely divided class.
- The Freedom- Basically we were able to organize our site however we wanted, there was no micromanaging. This was great because in the future here won’t be any professors to micromanage for us!
- I think it would be useful to spend a little more time on citing sources online. I know it is an area that is still a little fuzzy but just a broader understanding would be nice.
- I also think that this course does have merit in becoming Speaking intensive- however if we did focus on that aspect more it might take away from the point of the course.
- I can’t think of a 3rd!!! I liked the class, I enjoyed it and I really am sad that it is over.
Projects in the Future
- After talking to my group we thought it would be cool to see something about the history of the campus buildings and their names. For example, not many people know that Lee hall was named for Ann Carter Lee so having something about why the building was named for her and how it became de-feminized over the years. You could do that for each of the buildings, or split it up to academic and dorms. I am sure the dorms are interesting enough on their own.
- I think it would be interesting to look through the old cemeteries in Fredericksburg. Because I have found many through my explorations. Where did they come from and who is buried there, what is the history behind it?
PLAN! Really that is the best you can do, I think why our project went so smoothly was because our contract was so detailed on what we wanted and how we were going to accomplish it. Also don’t be afraid to use non-professional tools for communication. We found that Facebook was the best way to keep each other updated because we were all on Facebook. We even used it to reach the student population for our survey. If its there and its what you need, use it.