Jenn's Digital Blog

September 8, 2010

the Beginnings of a Bibliography…

Filed under: US History in Film — b4ssm4st3r @ 23:33

First off, I just want to say that it is difficult finding sources for a movie you have never seen! Here are the first couple sources I have found which relate back to Forrest Gump:

Baker, Mark. NAM:The Vietnam War in the Words of the Men and Women who fought there. New York: William Morrow and Company, inc., 1981.

*This one is useful because I can actually get a perspective of what the war was like for those involved in it, not just the political figures, but from the soldiers themselves.

Charlton, Michael, and Anthony Moncrieff. Many Reasons Why: The American Involvement in Vietnam. New York: Hill and Wang, 1978.

*This one focuses on why the US became involved in Vietnam, it brings forth a couple of interviews with Nixon. However the entire book relates back to the radio programs written in 1977 by Michael Charlton.

Hendrix, Charles C., and Lisa M. Anelli, “Impact of Vietnam War Service on Veterans’ Perceptions of Family Life,” Family Relations 42, no. 1 (January 1993). http://www.jstor.org/stable/584927 (accessed September 8, 2010).

*This one I though would be useful because the movie does continue after the war and apparently he becomes romantically tied with someone, so gaining an understanding of the effect the war might have had on Veterans psychologically would be useful for analysis.

Prugh, Major General George S. Law at War: Vietnam 1964-1973. Washington DC: Department of the Army, 1975.

*I thought this one would be interesting to look through not only because it is focused on Vietnam, but because it is published by the Army. I figure that would give me more of a mindset of the Armies’ reaction to the war.

Thomson, Owen E., and Joanna Miller, “Hurricane Carmen: August-September 1974 Development of a Wave in the ITCZ,” Monthly Weather Review 104 (May 1976). http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/1520-0493(1976)104<0656:HCAOAW>2.0.CO;2 (accessed September8, 2010).

*Apparently in the movie there was a Hurricane, and this was Hurricane Carmen, I though it would be useful to to look up the actual hurricane and compare it to the movie later on. For example, how powerful was it, where did it strike and so on….

* * *

No Comments

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.